Invest In Results Campaign & Book Launch
Speakers included: Nancy Andrews (LIIF), Fred Blackwell (The San Francisco Foundation), Sam Schaeffer (Center for Employment Opportunities), and Kavita Narayan (County of Santa Clara). Click here for information about attendees.
The Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco and Nonprofit Finance Fund hosted a free event in San Francisco for the launch of our new book, What Matters: Investing in Results to Build Strong, Vibrant Communities, and the beginning of a national dialogue around outcomes-based funding. Speakers explored how service providers, government, private funders, and others are working together to address entrenched social issues in our communities and focus on long-term solutions. Topics covered included:
- What are outcomes, and how are they measured?
- What innovative funding and financing tools are available to revolutionize our approach to solving big social problems?
- How does current funding make it harder for service providers to offer long-term solutions, and what investments must we make in providers to facilitate this shift?
11:30 – 12:45: Registration & Lunch
12:50 – 1:05: Welcome
- Mark Gould, Vice President and COO, Federal Reserve Bank of SF
- Nancy Andrews, President and CEO, Low Income Investment Fund
1:05 – 1:25: Introduction
- Jen Talansky, Managing Director of Knowledge & Impact, Nonprofit Finance Fund
- Antony Bugg-Levine, CEO, Nonprofit Finance Fund
1:25 – 2:05: Funding an Outcomes World
- Fred Ali, President and CEO, Weingart Foundation
- Fred Blackwell, CEO, The San Francisco Foundation
- Moderator: David Erickson, Director of Community Development, Federal Reserve Bank of SF
2:05 – 3:00: Targeted Talks
Moderator:Ian Galloway, Director of the Center for Community Development Investments, Federal Reserve Bank of SF
- Building a Culture of Continuous Improvement from Success to Failure: Sam Schaeffer, Executive Director and CEO, Center for Employment Opportunities
- Mind the Gap: Social Enterprise as outcomes-Driven Workforce Solution: Carrie McKellogg, Chief Program Officer, The Roberts Enterprise Development Fund
- Creating a Market that Values Health: Tyler Norris, Chief Executive, Well Being Trust
- Promise and Pitfalls of Prioritizing Outcomes in Foundation Strategy: Don Howard, President and CEO, The James Irvine Foundation
3:00 – 3:15: Break
3:20 – 4:15: Pay for Success: Where we are and where we’re going
- Louis Chicoine, Executive Director, Abode Services
- Saidah Leatutufu, Economic Mobility Director, Hope SF
- Kavita Narayan, Deputy County Counsel, County of Santa Clara
- Moderator: Jessica LaBarbera, VP of Strategic Innovation, Nonprofit Finance Fund
4:15 – 4:30: Summary and Closing Comments
- Andrea Levere, President, Prosperity Now